[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu-powered Laptop

Robin Bownes robin at ncedatrust.org.za
Mon May 17 14:32:59 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 15:11 +0200, Nashvin Gangaram wrote:

> Hi again
>
> Wow, thanks for all the quick responses...
>
> I should have probably mentioned what I had done already:
> I got the same response from Bravium (they don't do Notebooks
> anymore...)
> I checked http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/ and the only (good) one they
> had was the Proline M760S Dual Core
> (http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/laptop_specifications.php?laptop=27084), which is a bit low spec...
>
> I'm looking for something like the Pangolin Performance from System76
> (http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=100).
> I would buy it, but they don't ship internationally.  (I also don't
> want the hassle of importing something from USA, and then shipping it
> back if there is a hardware failure within warranty...)
>
> Thanks
> Nashvin

While this won't help you with getting a laptop without Windows, (I
caved, bought one with Windows, made a system image - for any warranty
claims - and installed Ubuntu) it may help with finding a laptop that is
compatible with Ubuntu.

I recently bought an Acer Aspire 5332 - not top of range or anything,
but can report that this Acer, and others on which I've installed Ubuntu
for clients, have all been completely compatible without any
complications or extra drivers, etc. necessary at all, and have
continued to work beautifully in the long term.

Robin