[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu-powered Laptop

Helge Reikeras helge.reikeras at gmail.com
Mon May 17 10:23:09 BST 2010

On 17/05/2010 11:11, Nashvin Gangaram wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I'm struggling to find a Laptop that doesn't have Windows 7
> pre-installed.  Does anyone know of any store that sells laptops with
> no Operating System, or a Linux Distribution pre-installed?  I'm
> looking to buy a fairy decent spec laptop...
>
> Thank You
> Nashvin

Hi Nashvin

I've been through this exercise myself. This reply from Bravium pretty
much sums up my experience...

" Sadly, the notebooks available without a Windows license in this
country are extremely limited. Unfortunately, to get the performance and
quality, you would need to import a notebook from the US or UK (e.g.
System76), or alternatively purchase a name-brand computer locally (that
comes pre-loaded with Windows) and then install Ubuntu on that. However,
it would be prudent to do some research on compatibility (such as
graphics, wifi cards, etc).

This is not an ideal situation by any means, however it is the current
reality in South Africa. Thankfully, the situation with desktop is very
different, and we are able to custom build desktops as per your
specifications. "

In other words, not ayoba... I ended up buying a Windows 7 laptop and
installing Ubuntu myself. The sad part is that the sale still gets
attributed to Microsoft even if I never even booted Windows.

Helge