[ubuntu-za] Sharing network connections in Ubuntu

Josh Brodrick josholikestofly at gmail.com
Fri May 7 10:53:13 BST 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Michael Gorven <michael at gorven.za.net>wrote:

> On Friday 07 May 2010 10:03:20 Josh Brodrick wrote:
> > I have a question rather than a pressing problem. I have an ADSL router
> > which is connected to the internet, and acts as the dhcp server to 4
> wired
> > computers and a couple wireless ones. I want to add another old laptop to
> > the network (it does not have wireless) but have no more wired ports
> > available on the router. From what I understand I can connect it via a
> > crossover cable to the second network card on one of my desktops, and use
> > firestarter to configure it (All the computers have firestarter installed
> > and configured). However, I dont need this additional laptop to have
> > internet access, as it only serves as a frontend to mythtv. It therefore
> > only needs to be able to communicate on the local network. Any advice on
> > how to configure this using firestarter?
>
> The easiest solution is to bridge the two network cards on the desktop so
> that
> it basically acts like a switch. The laptop would DHCP from the ADSL modem
> and
> have full access to the internet. The following in /etc/network/interfaces
> should do the trick after installing bridge-utils.
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet manual
>
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet manual
>
> auto br0
> iface br0 iface dhcp
>    bridge_ports eth0 eth1
>    bridge_maxwait 5
>
> Michael

Sorry just one more question I forgot to ask. At the moment, before setting
up any bridging of any sort, in my  /etc/network/interfaces I already have
the following lines:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Should I delete these lines, or simply leave them and add the suggested:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual