[ubuntu-za] Sharing network connections in Ubuntu

Josh Brodrick josholikestofly at gmail.com
Fri May 7 10:46:36 BST 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Frank Kusel <frankk at ansys.co.za> wrote:

> On 2010/05/07 10:03 AM, Josh Brodrick wrote:
> > Hi Everyone
> >
> > I have a question rather than a pressing problem. I have an ADSL
> > router which is connected to the internet, and acts as the dhcp server
> > to 4 wired computers and a couple wireless ones. I want to add another
> > old laptop to the network (it does not have wireless) but have no more
> > wired ports available on the router. From what I understand I can
> > connect it via a crossover cable to the second network card on one of
> > my desktops, and use firestarter to configure it (All the computers
> > have firestarter installed and configured). However, I dont need this
> > additional laptop to have internet access, as it only serves as a
> > frontend to mythtv. It therefore only needs to be able to communicate
> > on the local network. Any advice on how to configure this using
> > firestarter?
> >
> > Thanks so much.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Josh
>
> One possible disadvantage of doing it this way, is that the "routing" PC
> will have to stay on all the time. Have you considered buying another
> switch and just plugging that into your modem? They're not that
> expensive...
>
> Regards,
> Frank
>
> --
>
> Frank Kusel
> IT Manager
> ANSYS Limited
>
> Phone: +27 12 424 8537
> Mobile: +27 82 824 3524

Thanks Frank, I am aware of this disadvatage, however, since the desktop
which will be doing the bridging/routing is actually a mythtv backend server
its on pretty much all the time (and would have to be on for the laptop
running the frontend anyway).
I will however, look into a switch as I wasn't aware that they were quite
cheap.
Thanks again.