[ubuntu-za] Sharing network connections in Ubuntu

Michael Gorven michael at gorven.za.net
Fri May 7 10:03:56 BST 2010

On Friday 07 May 2010 10:51:36 Josh Brodrick wrote:
> Thanks so much for the quick reply! Just so i understand then, this way the
> laptop would be assigned its IP and everything directly from the ADSL
> router, through the desktop (and if looking from the router side just look
> like any normal pc connected directly to the router?) And would the fact
> that I have firestarter configured on the desktop not block or affect this
> bridging in any way?

Correct. It would look like a PC connected to the modem via a switch.
Theoretically Firestarter (which just sets up iptables) shouldn't interfere
since this is Ethernet bridging and not IP routing, but I have had problems
with iptables blocking bridge traffic before. If the desktop isn't accessible
from the Internet you don't really need a firewall on it though.

Michael

--
http://michael.gorven.za.net
PGP Key ID 1E016BE8