[ubuntu-za] Sharing network connections in Ubuntu

Michael Gorven michael at gorven.za.net
Fri May 7 09:21:56 BST 2010

On Friday 07 May 2010 10:03:20 Josh Brodrick wrote:
> I have a question rather than a pressing problem. I have an ADSL router
> which is connected to the internet, and acts as the dhcp server to 4 wired
> computers and a couple wireless ones. I want to add another old laptop to
> the network (it does not have wireless) but have no more wired ports
> available on the router. From what I understand I can connect it via a
> crossover cable to the second network card on one of my desktops, and use
> firestarter to configure it (All the computers have firestarter installed
> and configured). However, I dont need this additional laptop to have
> internet access, as it only serves as a frontend to mythtv. It therefore
> only needs to be able to communicate on the local network. Any advice on
> how to configure this using firestarter?

The easiest solution is to bridge the two network cards on the desktop so that
it basically acts like a switch. The laptop would DHCP from the ADSL modem and
have full access to the internet. The following in /etc/network/interfaces
should do the trick after installing bridge-utils.

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual