[ubuntu-za] Video card & hard drive question

Wesley Werner wesley.werner at gmail.com
Thu May 6 13:17:08 BST 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Ian Whitfield
<whitfield at federalsaints.net>wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> Thanks for nice Get-Together last Sat - pity I had to leave early. Also
> thanks to Corrie for 10.04 disks.
>
> I have two questions.........
>
> 1) My Linux Box has a Gigabyte GV-N55128D Video Card that uses the
> Nvidia FX5500 chipset. I have never been able to get thev"fancy"
> graphics to work and hope to get it working now with 10.04. Googling for
> drivers I find a lot of reports of problems with this chipset. SO what
> should I do? Give it a try or replace the card?
>
> If the first option - can somebody advise me how and if the second
> opti0n what card is recommended?

1.1) Have you tried the official nVidia drivers? A gigabyte card with nVidia
GPU, I wonder if that will work - The download
page<http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us>"supported
cards" tab lists FX5500...
1.2)I suggest a new card. Not a serious gamer? Research cards in your
budget, read reviews and other linux user experiences about those cards.