[ubuntu-za] Nvidia Restrcited Driver Issue... Crash (NVIDIA 6500)

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Wed May 5 23:22:36 BST 2010

On 5 May 2010 20:52, christo <coetzewc at telkomsa.net> wrote:

>  Hi guys some assistance or ideas?
>
> Installed a fresh copy of 10.04 32bit
>
> My Desktop with NVIDIA 6500 pci-e card crashes or X crashes after I
> installed the Nvidia Restrcited Driver from ubuntu repository. The mouse
> still moves around though but the machine is unresponsive to any clicking,
> the PC locks up with black screen only. Seems to also affect the
> Screen-saver. The NVIDIA drivers shows screensaver nicely but crashes my
> system. When I use the Plymouth driver my relolution sucks especially in
> browsing, text seems "jittery" for a lack of a better word.
>
> I* *Can't find anything related to this on the web so went on a mission
> and reported it to another thread on the ubuntu forum with similar issues.
>
> Oh and can't drop into terminal ALT F1 with NVIDIA drivers does not ask for
> password and prompts login again but with Plymouth drivers that works fine.
> This my initial issues and have had the following responce and did as
> explained. below:
>
> *From "dino99"*
> if you can open "synaptic" (system admin synaptic), tell me if, in the repo
> tab, you have some third party repo or ppa activated, in case uncheck
> them.(of course, all the repo need to be with the same distro and release)
> You should only have: nvidia-current, nvidia-current-modaliases,
> nvidia-common and nvidia-settings installed.
>
> now into console:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install -f
> sudo dpkg --configure -a
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure plymouth
> sudo update-initramfs -u
> sudo grub-mkconfig && update-grub
> so with synaptic: first remove/purge the nvidia packages installed (right
> click) then install the ones i've given in the previous post
>
> *From me:*
> My settings in Synaptic was / is:
> enabled Canonical-supported OSS (main)
> enabled Community-maintained OS (universe)
> enabled Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted)
> enamled SW restricted blah blah (multiverse)
>
> under Other Software
> enabled only Http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner
>
> Updates
> enabled (lucid-security)
> enabled (lucid-updates)
>
> Nothing else.
>
> On my quest
> removed all nvidia stuff with synaptic and installed
> nvidia-current
> nvidia-settings
> have to install nvidia-173-modaliases
> have to install nvidia-96-modaliases
> nvidia-common then
>
> Did the console commands, and rebuilt.
> Then used System Administration hardware to enable NVIDIA driver again.
> That is the correct wat to enable it, yes??
>
> So I Started a FTP download from local repositry (ftp://ftp.saix.net 10.04
> server 32) and X crashed after some screensaver activity, I'm sure. I was
> able to get into console ALT F1 this time but it seems if my path was
> [...]
This is what I get with an intel video card after running glxinfo.

hilton at oogway:~$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,
GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,
    GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_allocate_memory,
    GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_swap_control,
    GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control,
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:

So it seems that the glx client is version 1.2 but the server is 1.4.
Do you get the same ?

Cheers

hg

Hilton Gibson