[ubuntu-za] 10/04 Sound and Devilspie

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Wed May 5 17:58:02 BST 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Robert Ketteringham <robket at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2. devilspie doesn't work either. "** (devilspie:12333): CRITICAL **:
>> e_sexp_eval: assertion `f->tree != NULL' failed"  about 50 times.
>> Devilspie is quite neat in helping me sort out my workspaces - not a
>> train crash though.
>
> Hmmm I used to use devilspie a while ago but I eventually gave up as it
> was too much maintenance.

It has always worked fine for me with no maintenance at all!

> Is it not possible to achieve some of the functionality using Compiz? In
> particular the "Window Rules" plugin jumps to mind. Also you could try
> using Group and Tab Windows with it.

The last time I looked at Compiz the answer was no. What I want is for
Firefox to always come up in workspace 1, Thunderbird to always come
up in Workspace 2, Open Office stuff in workspace 6 and so on. Easy in
devilspie, but Compiz did not do that.

But perhaps Compiz has this covered now - I will have a look sometime.
Not at the top of my urgency pile.

Thanks though,
  Bill