[ubuntu-za] Video card & hard drive question

Ian Whitfield whitfield at federalsaints.net
Wed May 5 14:33:47 BST 2010

Hi Guys

Thanks for nice Get-Together last Sat - pity I had to leave early. Also
thanks to Corrie for 10.04 disks.

I have two questions.........

1) My Linux Box has a Gigabyte GV-N55128D Video Card that uses the
Nvidia FX5500 chipset. I have never been able to get thev"fancy"
graphics to work and hope to get it working now with 10.04. Googling for
drivers I find a lot of reports of problems with this chipset. SO what
should I do? Give it a try or replace the card?

If the first option - can somebody advise me how and if the second
opti0n what card is recommended?

2) My computer has two physical hard drives as I want to keep 'System'
on the first drive and '/home' on the second. When I installed 9.10 I
followed some advise on how to do this and wound up with two 'homes'!!

Can somebody give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this please?

Thanks a lot.

PS - Has the sound been fixed in 10.04? I lost all sound in 9.10 and
hope to get it back now!

Ian Whitfield.