[ubuntu-za] Superuser

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Thu Mar 4 15:04:03 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 12:42 +0200, Corrie Strydom wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Darrel <darrel at celebrationsfs.co.za>
> wrote:

>         Talking of which what am I doing wrong here?
>
>         root at point:~# sudo cp /home/darrel/Websites/sapis /var/www/
>         cp: omitting directory `/home/darrel/Websites/sapis'
>

>         sapis is a folder containg files for a website

> Darrel, try "sudo cp -R /home/darrel/Websites/sapis /var/www/"

If you do that you will create a directory /var/www/sapis.  This means
that your website must now be accessed as:
  http://localhost/sapis

This is not a bad idea if you are going to have multiple test sites on
your machine, i.e. giving them each their own directory.

However, if this is going to be the only site on the machine, rather
use:
  sudo cp -R /home/darral/Websites/sapis/* /var/www/

This copies the contents of the directory without not creating the
directory as well.

Charl