[ubuntu-za] Superuser

Jan Groenewald jan at aims.ac.za
Thu Mar 4 07:07:58 GMT 2010

Hi

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 09:03:25AM +0200, Darrel wrote:
> I have just loaded phpmyadmin with the idea of having a LAMP server to
> parse php files through Apache. My problem is that I cannot load any
> files into "/var/www" as I do not have permission. I have done some

You can use sudo to change the permission to your own, or you can add
yourself to the webserver "www-data" group, or you can work with sudo
each time.

> reading regarding the use of "sudo", "su" and "sudoers" but can't
> understand what the author is trying to explain.When I enter su in the
> terminal it requires a password,I assume this is a root password as my
> Linux password is not accepted.

No, it is your password. root password is disabled by default.

> How do I allocate myself a root password to become a superuser?

The person who installed is already a "sudoer", or in the "admin"
group. That person needs to add you:

sudo adduser darrel admin

Then user darrel also has sudo rights, with his own password.

Each admin task needs sudo in front.

sudo cp file /var/www/

You might prefer to keep a copy of the website in your home directory
and sync that periodically.

regards,
Jan
--