[ubuntu-za] Installation problems

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Tue Jun 8 14:50:35 BST 2010

On 06/08/2010 03:05 AM, Dave Lizamore wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have just replaced my pc with an Intel Core i3 540 3.07 GHz CPU  and
> an Intel DH55TC MB, a 500GB Seagate baracuda HD, 2x2 GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
> with on board sound and video enabled. I used to run both Ubuntu 8 and
> Mint 9 on my previous system (intel dual core 2.6GHz CPU on a Foxcon MB
> with a NVDIA video card, but cannot install either on my new pc. Ubuntu
> loads the kernel and then bombs out to the busybox command line, while
> Mint would not even boot from the CD and default back to windows. I have
> updated the bios as well as the video driver from Intel's website, but
> it does not make a difference.

Several things jump out here...  There are possible SATA problems, video
problems, and other problems.  Can you boot the Alt-Install CD?  Can you
install from it then it bombs?  Is it an Intel i8** chipset?  (Yes, I
looked at the intel site, and still can't tell...  Useless twits.)  If
so, look at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes for a fix.

			Lee