[ubuntu-za] Fwd: [Ubuntu-za-maties] LoCoTeam Election - Maties Ubuntu

Helge Reikeras helge.reikeras at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 15:32:48 GMT 2010

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:24:32 +0200, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal-pc.org> wrote:

> Hilton Gibson wrote:
>
> <big snip of a lot of discussion>
>
>> What do the rest think ?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> hg.
>>
>> PS: My apologies to those who prefer top posts ;-)
>
> I think we are arguing over semantics.  I am guessing that the school
> has requirements that members have to be some way involved in the
> school.   That means that Ubuntu-ZA can't just join...  So make your
> group a part of Ubuntu-ZA, and separate as well.  Not a separate LoCo,
> but a club within the LoCo.  Less paperwork that way too... :)
>
> 			Lee

Hi

Thanks everyone for valuable input and suggestions on how we should go
about setting up this group.

I think this is mostly a misunderstanding on our side of what a LoCo
actually is. We are definitely not trying to compete with the LUG (SULUG)
or the Ubuntu ZA LoCo in any way whatsoever. I don't think it matters what
we call it. I think a more informal "MatiesUbuntu mini-community" would be
just fine.

Let me try to summarize what we want to do.

- Maintain the MatiesUbuntu wiki which provides support in setting up an
Ubuntu system to work nicely on the university network (local package
mirror, mail server, calender, network drives etc).

- Organize local social events related to Ubuntu such as release parties,
bug jams etc.

- The university network uses a special software to log a student's
Internet bandwidth usage and to charge the student account accordingly.
This software must be installed on the student's PC, but only a Windows
version is supported by IT. However, local hackers have developed a Python
implementation. Such "local" software can be packaged and put in the
Launchpad PPA. Ubuntu users can then get automatic updates etc.

The problem with informal is that it doesn't compute so well with the
university admin when it comes to hosting the wiki, computer lab access
for a bug jam etc.

It is definitely worth considering to set up MatiesUbuntu as a part of
SULUG and take it from there. It may be tricky getting SULUG registered as
a student organization though, but it's worth a try. That being said, I
think the Linux-Ubuntu relationship is somewhat complicated for many of
the not-so-technical Ubuntu users. Ubuntu has given Linux a more human
face (Linux For Human Beings, remember?). Thus, one of my hopes was to
gather a more diverse group that what one typically find in LUGs. Indeed,
I have had requests from both graphical artists and CAs (!) who are
interested in Maties Ubuntu. These are people you rarely will find in LUGs.

Regards,
--
Helge Reikeras
http://www.google.com/profiles/helge.reikeras