[ubuntu-za] Connecting to iBurst From a iBurst Ethernet Modem with 100M UTP cable

wayne plettpc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 11:02:24 GMT 2010

David Nel wrote:
> It might be due to the kernel you're running. I have an External USB
> iBurst modem and had to download one of the more older drivers for 8.10
>
> Plucking at straws, here but it might be due to that?

Unfortunately living in the sticks, I have yet to see a IBurst modem,
however as Quinton stated, If it's UTP, I presume it has Http setup
access. And *no* drivers are needed, Correct me if I'm wrong, Please.

The OP asked if can He do in Ubuntu as he is presently doing in XP.

Well, if my presumptions are correct with regards setup of the modem,
then absolutely, *PLUS* about 100 things more and better, with much more
stability and options.

Firstly, on your XP, get gateway address by going to status of
connection to iBurst. Or if u're doing a pppoe conection, RTFM to find
the access IP.

Open a browser and goto this address, change the MODE of operation to
Bridge Mode.( If this fails try setting the connection to the same
subnet as the modems IP.)
Simply this means the modem will only De-modulate the signal and push it
along the UTP.

Connect the Modem to eth0 and the Switch to eth1.

Fire up the connection manager and setup a pppoe/DSL connection on eth0
with your iBurst User/pass.

To do the simple routing/nat, for newbie's I always recomend Firestarter,
$ sudo aptitude install firestarter
$ sudo firestarter ( run it)

The setup is straight forward, just assign the eth*'s and fill in the
dhcp etc.

This will give you simple routing/Nat to all the clients connected to
the switch, assigned automatically.

There can also be simple rules setup here for lockdowns etc.

Now you can start playing, u can install Squid, to save some precoius
bandwidth, and to do accounting etc.

You can even limit bandwidth and/or limit data per Day/Week/Day etc(
google squished)

My 2c
Wayne A