[ubuntu-za] 2010 Roadmap Ubuntu-ZA

Rusty zabear1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 15:32:54 GMT 2010

Hi all and David,
I did think that hijackings only takes place on the road :-) but thanx for
bringing the topic back to 2010 planning.(I'm also using gmail and do not
know how this will end up (top or bottom? - not done purposely wrong, but
would like to concentrate on the roadmap idea.).

I gave some thoughts on the subject.
I wondered about the possibility of some own composed South African
Ubuntu-za music for the soccer fans which we could put on the web on our own
wiki (ubuntu-za) and inform the rest of the (Linux) world of such music - to
listen to, to enjoy, to use as talking point in promoting OSS and if they
are coming to SA for the soccer event, to bring them in contact with our own
Linux community as a welcoming base.
I talked to a friend in Pretoria who makes just some awesome music,
composing, singing and playing (various instuments) at corporate functions
etc (and makes use of OSS where and when he can), if he would be willing to
compose something and put it out in OS format.  He was willing (time
permitting - thinking of a 2- 4 minute length item), but then in the
discussion the idea came up regarding a competition asking other South
Africans (or Africans wider afield) to put their mind to some music for the
soccer event - if the Ubuntu-za leadership would approve and act as judges
to find a winner (and a few runners-up) whose music would then be placed on
the wiki and perhaps be given a prize?  Closing date could be end of may
2010.  These are ideas, but it could work.  my friend has a friend who could
even put an act together, combining photo-stills with music or the OS
equivalent of flash (I dont use OSS outside the normal range so do not know
this area at all).  A motivation for these guys getting involved, would be
the exposure to their products, which something like this would
bring.(especially with some prize thrown in, it would be attractive to a
wider audience).

So I'm coming to you all to ask what you think about it.
We could get some nice photos etc out for the soccer event or drawings if we
had a competition.

There are a number of ideas to use:-  April's Linx coming out (linx paws
with Ubuntu welcome soccer fans etc), Linx theme welcome
music/photos/pictures/drawings for the soccer (similar to Lion King!), just
any newly composed music for welcoming the soccer fans or even just any
music/pictures etc which could fit in with South African hospitality while
the whole world is coming our way in 2010.

People, if this is not our thing or if we just want to leave it, it's OK
with me.  But we do have an opportunity now which we could REALLY use.
Don't we have a compony who would sponsor prizes for us?  Let's think about
it.

Rusty