[ubuntu-za] Daemons no longer automatically starting viz apt-cacher-ng and cups

Chris Schoonbee cmschoonbee at mweb.co.za
Fri Jan 8 08:09:42 GMT 2010

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone had seen a similar problem (described
below) in the last two or three weeks.   I am also hoping that someone
can give me a clue as to how to fix it.

Both apt-cacher-ng and cups printing had been working with no problems
for me since installation. But then suddenly the update manager started
complaining about not being able to connect to the repositories.
Aptitude showed the same problem when I tried to update manually.  I
tracked down the problem to being due to the apt-cacher-ng daemon not
running.  So I ran the command :
sudo /etc/init.d/apt-cacher-ng start
This sorted out the problem but I then found I had to rerun it after
every bootup whenever I wanted to use apt etc.

I have not fiddled with anything so I thought an update might have
caused it and I was hoping that a later update would resolve it but that
has not yet happened.

Then I encountered a similar with cups which made me think a more
general problem was occurring.  I had not used my printer over the
Christmas period but a few days ago encountered an error trying to
print.  I found out that no printers were "connected" (neither my
Brother nor my cups-pdf).  I discovered that cups was not running and
this reminded my of my problem with apt-cacher-ng.  So I used a similar
command
sudo /etc/init.d/cups start
and this resulted in the printers showing up again in the printing manager.

But again I have to run this command every time after bootup.

My Linux foo does not extend to knowing how to fix this permanently ie
make the programs start automatically again.  There may also be other
daemons that are not starting up anymore but that I am unaware of.

Does anyone have any hints for me?  Or seen anything similar?

Cheers,
Chris