[ubuntu-za] Installing Ubuntu Server on SD

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Mon Feb 22 20:36:36 GMT 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 08:52 -0600, Lee Sharp wrote:
> Charl Wentzel wrote:
>
> > The problem is that I know need to use an SD card instead of a
> > Harddrive.  (Environmental conditions is not favourable for a hard
> > drive).  However, I cannot get an Ubuntu Server CD to install to an SD
> > card.  The partition manager simply does not give the SD as an option.
>
> How are you mounting your SD card?  That is the issue.  You can get an
> SD to PATA adapter and then it will look like a hard drive, and you
> should have no issues.  If it is a USB adapter, you will NOT look like a
>   hard drive, and you will need to trick it.  (Much harder)

I seemed to have made a lucky choice.  I found an Integral Single Slot
USB SD card reader at Incredible for R99.

Not sure exactly what it does, but not only can I boot from an SD card
using this device, the Ubuntu Install CD's detects it in the partitional
manager as an "installable" device.  My guess is that it presents itself
as a USB hard drive.

Charl