[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu 9.10 Help

Robin Bownes robin at ncedatrust.org.za
Mon Feb 15 15:41:56 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 16:56 +0200, abinedell at vodamail.co.za wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I have always used Huawei broadband modems to connect to the internet
> on
> > previous Ubuntu’s that I used, no problem what so ever.
> >
> > So I installed Ubuntu 9.10 the other day, it picked up my modem I
> > connected to the internet it shows that I am connected to the
> internet,
> > but actually I am not. I  use a Huawei E156G modem.  Can you please
> help
> > me with this?
> >
> > Sorry for the bother, but I am desperate to get Ubuntu 9.10 up and
> > running correctly so that I can get rid of windows for good. I could
> not
> > find any other logical help online for the problem that I
> experience.
>
> Regards
> Anton

Hi Anton,

I had a similar sounding problem, which actually just turned out to be
incorrect proxy settings in Ubuntu. In System --> Preferences -->
Network Proxy, ensure that you are set to Direct Internet Connection.
Then ensure that your mail and browser apps are using the proxy setting
- Use system default / direct connection.

Don't know if this is helpful.

Robin