[ubuntu-za] Add New Printer wants Root Password

Robin Bownes robin at ncedatrust.org.za
Mon Feb 15 11:21:59 GMT 2010

Hi,

Having installed Karmic on 2 other notebooks (HP/Compaq & Acer) with no
problems at all, I used it to replace WindowsXP on my sister-in-law's HP
notebook (newer than the afore-mentioned HP/Compaq).

Firstly, the notebook is running very slowly. Any ideas.

Secondly, and more urgently, Add New Printer, while automatically
locating and correctly identifying her Canon printer, then insists on a
Root password in order to the complete the installation. This is the
first time any Ubuntu installation has asked me to do this. Any ideas.

Robin