[ubuntu-za] Windows Tax Refund was Re: Are there any problems running Ubuntu on a Intel Quad ?

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 12:05:15 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Helge Reikeras
<helge.reikeras at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:21:28 +0200, Andre Rossouw <andre at arnet.co.za>
> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 11:43 +0200, Helge Reikeras wrote:
>>>
>>> Can one actually do this?
>>
>> Not to hijack the thread, but it is within your rights. The agreement
>> specifies that if you do not agree to the terms and conditions that you
>> are entitled to return the software to wherever you bought it for your
>> money back. That is unfortunately where it all goes pear, as the OEM
>> guys refuse, citing that the operating system is part of the machine
>> that you bought, and when you did so you agreed to the operating system
>> installed on it [my experience anyway]. The fact that is not legal in
>> this country to buy a computer without and operating system [my
>> understanding, please correct me if I am wrong] and that most
>> OEM's/suppliers hardly ever supply anything other than Windows, is
>> beside the point.
>>
>> FYI, I am in contact with a Microsoft employee in my region, and am
>> investigating the options my clients have when buying machines that will
>> be re-installed with Ubuntu (or any other OS for that matter).
>>

> *Started a new thread*
>
> Would be interesting to know if anyone have actually tried this and what
> the outcome was (success/fail, amount, etc)?

You can most certainly buy a computer without an operating system in
South Africa. Occasionally Sybaritic has a notebook advertised like
that.

Some people have successfully done it in the US and Europe. It takes a
lot of time on the phone talking to people without the legal
expertise, but it can be done. I guessed they received +- $25.

In South Africa, they'll just put you on hold until you die of
boredom. They are after all employing customer care employees who earn
a lot less than you, so if they play the waiting game, you loose.

The real problem is that the OEM does not claim it back from MS, nor
do they have any incentive to do so. If they do, MS will just
"retaliate" by canceling some of their "discounts".

Another part of the problem is off course people who bought EEE PCs
not because they like Linux, but because they took the cheapest model,
only to return it after a few days. If the retailer doesn't allow them
to trade up to an MS model, they loose credibility.

My advice: It may not fit your requirements, but try to wait a few
months and buy an ARM based smartbook running Andriod or Chrome OS.
Then reinstall with Ubuntu. That will hurt MS much more than demanding
a refund on MS tax.