[ubuntu-za] Are there any problems running Ubuntu on a Intel Quad ?

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Thu Feb 11 11:58:47 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 12:28 +0200, Ewald Horn wrote:

> On 11 February 2010 12:21, Andre Rossouw <andre at arnet.co.za> wrote:
>

>         On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 11:43 +0200, Helge Reikeras wrote:
>         >
>         > Can one actually do this?
>

> Yes, that OEM thing is quite a pain. What I do is I order components
> and then build the machine myself. This way I don't pay for ANY
> Microtos junk that I don't want.

I source my equipment from suppliers that build custom machines, in
which case you have to specify Windows if you want it included.

These suppliers are not only cheaper than main retailers but you can
still buy quality stuff such as Intel motherboards etc.  You still get a
full warranty on the hardware without those "warrenty void if broken"
stickers.  And best of all, you don't have to pay for Windows if you are
not going to use it!!

There are plenty of these guys online.  The drawback is that can't walk
into a store and "pick one".

Regards
Charl