[ubuntu-za] Are there any problems running Ubuntu on a Intel Quad ?

Robin Bownes robin at ncedatrust.org.za
Thu Feb 11 10:26:37 GMT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) <ethnopunk at telkomsa.net>
To: Ubuntu South African Local Community <ubuntu-za at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-za] Are there any problems running Ubuntu on a
Intel Quad ?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:03:54 +0200

Helge Reikeras wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:37:06 +0200, Andre Rossouw <andre at arnet.co.za>
> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 10:33 +0200, David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:
>>
>>> Best part about buying a new PC is when the guy asks you. So do you
>>> want
>>> Windows Vista or Windows 7 and you tell him what you are about to do
>>> and
>>> he gives you this weird look, like your'e from outer space or
>>> something.
>>> I also get a lot of pleasure erasing brand new Microsoft
>>> installations
>>> and then turning on compiz and having people's jaws drop in amazement.
>>>
>> It is satisfying... I hope that when that new machine is switched on for
>> the first time you disagree to the license and get your money back...
>>

> Can one actually do this?
>

>> Letting the stats reflect bloated sales figures for Windows 7 (when
>> we've actually just bought the machine and trashed the pre-install)
>> isn't cool for me.

The Window's Tax.

Unfortunately, retailers are tied into selling the Windows with the
PC/notebook. What is also of course tied into having Windows loaded on
such machines is the warrantee. What I did, in order to hopefully be
able to use the warrantee if necessary, was to take a complete (Windows
7) system image of the notebook before adding/changing anything, and
definitely before changing over to Karmic. Fortunately, Acer supplies a
nice utility for doing this. If I have a problem that needs warrantee
attention, I hope that I will still be able to reload the image.

However, while the Windows tax is completely unfair, and if someone had
the money & time to challenge it, probably unethical business practice,
it is also unfortunately almost inescapable. Apparently, HP & Dell will
sell you a system (only online) with Linux instead of Windows, and
Sahara (wholesaler) does have some notebooks that ship with Linux
instead of Windows - for a cheaper price than with Windows.