[ubuntu-za] Are there any problems running Ubuntu on a Intel Quad ?

Andre Rossouw andre at arnet.co.za
Thu Feb 11 10:21:28 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 11:43 +0200, Helge Reikeras wrote:

> Can one actually do this?

Not to hijack the thread, but it is within your rights. The agreement
specifies that if you do not agree to the terms and conditions that you
are entitled to return the software to wherever you bought it for your
money back. That is unfortunately where it all goes pear, as the OEM
guys refuse, citing that the operating system is part of the machine
that you bought, and when you did so you agreed to the operating system
installed on it [my experience anyway]. The fact that is not legal in
this country to buy a computer without and operating system [my
understanding, please correct me if I am wrong] and that most
OEM's/suppliers hardly ever supply anything other than Windows, is
beside the point.

FYI, I am in contact with a Microsoft employee in my region, and am
investigating the options my clients have when buying machines that will
be re-installed with Ubuntu (or any other OS for that matter).