[ubuntu-za] Nautilus mess

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Wed Feb 10 18:34:00 GMT 2010

Jonathan Hitchcock wrote:
> There's a Nautilus option to use your home directory as the desktop -
> i.e. files in the home directory appear on your desktop.   By default
> this is off, and the "Desktop" directory itself is used.  When you
> deleted the Desktop directory, the option was obviously turned on,
> since there was nothing else to use.  To turn it back off (after you
> have recreated the Desktop directory):
>
> Go to Applications->System Tools->Configuration Editor
>
> Go to apps, then nautilus, and click on the preferences folder.
>
> Scroll down on the right side until you see the desktop_is_home_dir
> key and uncheck the box.
>
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 17:47, Alf Stockton <alf at stockton.co.za> wrote:
>
>> Helge Reikeras wrote:
>>
>>> I would try to create the ~/Desktop folder again.
>>>

>> I tried that and it did not help. Permissions?
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Alf Stockton            www.stockton.co.za
>>
>> Don't worry.  Life's too long.
>>                -- Vincent Sardi, Jr.
>>
>> --

It should come back if you log out and log in again. Which version are
you running?

If you want to check if the permissions are okay

$ ls -l
and
$ ls -l Desktop

might reveal something. Mine is:
drwxr-xr-x  2 afrodeity afrodeity     4096 2010-02-09 23:01 Desktop

the icons on the Desktop should be
-rwxr-xr-x

While you at, you may as well try installing Nautilus Elementary. It's
really great

Open a terminal and type the following commands, hitting your
return/enter key after each.

    * sudo add-apt-repository ppa:am-monkeyd/nautilus-elementary-ppa
    * sudo apt-get update
    * sudo apt-get upgrade

Which will get you a slightly newer Nautilus.

Hope this helps.

DRL