[ubuntu-za] Nautilus Desktop frozen

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Tue Feb 2 17:46:55 GMT 2010

Wesley Werner wrote:

>     which is a nautilus warning referred to here
>     <http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1363512.html>
>     basically some extensions not being loaded properly.
>
>     Haven't yet removed them. Wish I had a magic spell. So getting there
>     slowly. From the looks of things, I might have to remove and purge
>     nautilus and reinstall and this might effect gnome also, so I'm not a
>     happy camper right now.
>
>     Thanks for the support.
>
>     DRL
>

> You can always open Synaptic and mark for reinstallation, so it won't
> remove the dependency packages, but chance it could replace any
> corrupt files or config files?
>
> apt-get remove nautilus will remove these packages as deps, fyi:
> gnome-session nautilus nautilus-share ubuntu-desktop
>
> If you do remove nautilus, you can also reinstall all those previously
> removed from the Ubuntu CD, and skip the downloads. Admin -> Software
> sources, and check the "CDRom with Ubuntu" option.
>
> Before you do that, just see if this bug report
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/488699> is
> similiar to your issue...
>
> Hope we can fix this for you :)
Similar, not sure if it is exactly the same. My problem is an
unresponsive file manager. Nautilus just dies. ie freezes. No
segmentation fault. Same warnings as reported.

I've tried removing and reinstalling nautilus as per your suggestion. No
luck. I've also tried deleting the .nautilus folder. Pretty stumped.

Don't have much time right now to investigate further, but will try when
I have more time, probably over weekend.

Regards

DRL.