[ubuntu-za] Nautilus Desktop frozen

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Mon Feb 1 15:47:51 GMT 2010

Wesley Werner wrote:
> So the error was unrelated, back to square 1. If you can't find any
> suspect errors in the logs, then it could be hardware. Run a memory
> check, its an option in the grub boot menu (also on the live cd).  See
> if any failed tests appear within the same time your system crashes.
> Or run it over-night.
>
> Also boot the live CD of 8.10 and see if that gives you the same
> problem. If it does, then it's probably hardware, otherwise it's a
> software issue which we have to track down, not sure how we do that
> from here. What packages did you install recently before this all started?
>
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 11:16 AM, David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk)
> <ethnopunk at telkomsa.net <mailto:ethnopunk at telkomsa.net>> wrote:
>

>     Wesley Werner wrote:
>     > /scanner: _unterminated_ string constant - e.g. `style'/
>     >
>     > That usually means the config file (.gtkrcxx as shown in error)
>     has a
>     > missing quote, a string value hasn't been closed off.
>     >
>     > Snip

I've done the following in the meantime trying to solve two warning
messages when I start nautilus

 Eel-CRITICAL **: eel_preferences_get_boolean: assertion
`preferences_is_initialized ()' failed

1. renamed gfs-metadata in .local/share

One user reported this fixed his problem
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1390956&page=6>. Basically
gfs-metadata corrupted. Didn't work for me.

2. Added a ppa <https://launchpad.net/%7Eerez-volk/+archive/nautilus>
for the eel_critical bug.
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/454234>

Did this, and the message went away but no solution to my unresponsive
nautilus problem

Now still left with (nautilus:3670): WARNING **: No marshaller for
signature of signal 'UploadFinished'

which is a nautilus warning referred to here
<http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1363512.html>
basically some extensions not being loaded properly.

Haven't yet removed them. Wish I had a magic spell. So getting there
slowly. From the looks of things, I might have to remove and purge
nautilus and reinstall and this might effect gnome also, so I'm not a
happy camper right now.

Thanks for the support.

DRL