[ubuntu-za] ADSL Traffic

Walter Leibbrandt walter at translate.org.za
Mon Feb 1 10:17:14 GMT 2010

Op 01/02/2010 11:54, Johan Mynhardt het geskryf:
> Hi Bill, one of my favourite tools is iftop (in the terminal). It shows
> you where data is coming from/going to. It does not show you a lot of
> detail, but it shows you the hostname of the other end-point so you will
> have an idea where it's going to. This should be just one of the many
> tools to use, but mostly I need only that one to know where my data goes.
Hi,

Having run into a similar problem I have also searched for a tool that
can keep running totals of traffic caused/consumed on a per-process
basis, but couldn't find anything satisfactory. The closest I've seen is
nethogs[1]. It's perfect except that it deletes "older" entries. Do you
maybe know of any such apps?

Also, Bill, I used to get a few brute force/dictionary attacks against
my SSH server every day, each running for a few hours. I don't know how
much bandwidth this could waste, but since installing fail2ban that
problem is eliminated too. But as stated previously in this thread I
would also suspect updates first.

Regards,
Walter

[1]: `sudo aptitude install nethogs`
--
Walter Leibbrandt                  Software Developer
Recent blogs: