[ubuntu-za] ADSL Traffic

Ewald Horn ewaldhorn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 09:53:30 GMT 2010

On 1 February 2010 11:47, Bill Cairns <cairnsww at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a 3 Gig contract with Telkom which should surely be enough for
> the internet stuff that I do. But I regularly exceed that cap.
>
> Something is obviously chowing my bandwidth while I am not watching.
> It could be something on my 08.04 Ubuntu box, but of course it is just
> as likely to be one of the two XP machines or the one Vista machine
> that is the culprit. Of the Windows machines, only the Vista machine
> runs regularly, the XP machines are notebooks which are used far less
> often.
>
> But, starting at the beginning, is there a program that I can run on
> by 08.04 Ubuntu machine that I can use to see if there is anything
> behind the scenes who is downloading things while I am not watching?
> Searching for "Monitor network traffic"  on synaptic gives quite a few
> candidates (perhaps MRTG looks the most promising but also looks the
> most complicated). Advice?
>
> Also (off into a dreadful topic I know) any advice on what I could use
> on XP and Vista?
>
> Lastly, any suggestions about who can be stealing all that bandwidth?
> (My wireless connection is enabled but password protected. I live in a
> retirement centre and doubt anyone here has hacked into my router but
> I suppose it is possible!)
>
> Bill

Hi Bill.

Automatic updates on Windows XP and Vista are known bandwidth thieves. These
apps alone can rip a 3Gb cap apart in days, especially all those "security"
updates. Tie into that Java Updater, Office Updater, Symantec LiveUpdate, HP
Software Updates and you can run through your cap in a flash. Check for the
obvious culprits first - I'd start with Windows Updates and then the rest.

I haven't seen my Linux box misbehave yet, but then again, I manually do
updates.

Best regards
Ewald