[ubuntu-za] cups died

Daniël Louw daniel at dline.co.za
Wed Dec 22 10:54:30 GMT 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Trevor Hughes <linux at thewildfig.co.za>wrote:

> 2010/12/22 Daniël Louw <daniel at dline.co.za>:
> > Hi all!
> > This happened a while ago, but I forgot about it until I just tried to
> print
> > something now.
> > It seems like cups died, or something, as I cannot print anymore. All
> > printers are connected to my machine via network, an all of them have
> been
> > working fine before. When I go to the printers (System > Administration >
> > Printing) dialog, nothing is displayed, and at the bottom of the window
> it
> > says "not connected". I cant even add a new printer, as the option is
> grayed
> > out!
> > Any ideas?
>
> Not sure if my problem is the same as yours, but I also "lose"
> printing functionality and the shared printers disappear. I am running
> ubuntu 10.04 on both machines.
>
> try an smbclient -L ip.address (of machine with the prinmters
> attached) and see if it lists the printer shares - when I do this the
> printers are missing but all the folder shares are visible.
>
> I then have to restart smbd on the machine that has the printers
> physically attached and then they show up as shared again. So far I
> have not been able to find out what is the fault!
>
> Trev

Hi Trevor, the printers show as being shared from the server (a windows box)
by using your smbclietnt command. Other machines on the network can print
and when I boot into windows on my box, I can print, so the problem lies
with my 10.04.

But thanks to Ciaran's advice, I solved the problem. The ps command showed
no cups was running - as I expected. Trying to manually start cups failed,
as the "command was not found". So I fired up Synaptic, searched for cups,
lo and behold it was not installed! So I installed it, and it is working
now.

I have no idea how cups dissapeared from my machine, but it's back on now,
and working.

Thanks!

Daniël Louw
daniel at dline.co.za