[ubuntu-za] Proper WiFi dongle for Lucid

Daniël Louw daniel at dline.co.za
Wed Dec 22 07:52:06 GMT 2010

Morning all

My desktop PC at home is connected to the home network via WiFi. Currently I
use a Netgear WG 311v3 card.
A quick search on the Web will show that this card is notorious to get to
work on any Linux distro, and impossible to get to work on Win7 x64 without
bypassing serious security features.

My machine is located quite far from the access point, so I have trouble
with high volume transfers to the backup NAS. At this stage I get a max.
transfer rate of 500KB/s (for a 54mbps card!)

So I decided to put myself in the market for a new WiFi adapter!
I am preferably looking for something USB, so that I can move the dongle
around and get it out behind my PC which is between the aerial and the
access point.
My questions are:

* What do you use?
* Experiences?