[ubuntu-za] Random freezes

Wesley Werner wesley.werner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 09:43:00 GMT 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 9:58 AM, David Nel <david.uberdiablo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's a kernel problem to be honest but not sure if I can install a
> more reliable kernel. Has anyone found some form of a work around yet?

It could be a kernel bug or hardware related, perhaps I can offer some
troubleshooting ideas?:

- is the system completely unresponsive? And if so, are the caps
lock/scroll locks lights flashing? If they are, it's a kernel panic.
- can you ctrl+alt+F1 into another console and log in?
- check the logs for any suspect errors right after you reboot. Even
boot into text mode only to avoid loading X (recovery mode from the
GRUB menu)
- check the system logs and X11 logs:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxLogFiles