[ubuntu-za] What NAS device(s) do you use? And why?

Andre Rossouw andre at arnet.co.za
Mon Dec 13 07:00:32 GMT 2010

> >> Fiber attached and SAS is a lot of money for little benefit. SATA is
> >> very fast, and very cheap.  For the cost savings you can buy two
> >> boxes,
> >> and have a logical mirror.
> >
> > Well - yes and no. It really does all depend on what you're putting on
> > those disks, and how quickly your application need to get to it. If you
> > are using a web-based application, or small db's, or need lots of
> > storage that seldom gets touched - then I agree, SATA is the way. If,
> > however, you are working with a relational db 1TB+,  with all the logs
> > and hundreds of users hitting the application servers throughout the
> > business day ... then I totally disagree. Fibre and SAS is well worth
> > the money.
>
> Frankly, in that case I would build an array with SATA solid state
> drives, or a giant RAM disk with lazy writes to an array.  Generally,
> the attachment point is not the bottle neck, it is the spinning
> platters.  Especially with SATA 3.

Lol, I can see this going around in circles and us not actually
answering Rudi's question.

My final 2c on this topic:
1. Work out your disk requirements and categorise
2. Work out disk access requirements for the different categories
3. Go see a professional who will give you solid advice - without
confusing the matter with new and untested configurations
4. Be prepared to pay - you can't get enterprise performance, management
and functionality with consumer products
--
Andre Rossouw