[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu on P4

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Thu Aug 19 11:19:54 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 09:36 +0200, Andy Rabagliati wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Charl Wentzel wrote:
>
> > It used to be easy, you just edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, but that
> > no longer exists.  None of the advice I found on Google seemed to be
> > relevant.
>
> It still looks for that file. xorg has got so clever that it usually
> manages just fine without it, but if you create it, it will use it.

Thanks Andy, I didn't know that!  I copied the xorg.conf.failsafe file
to xorg.conf, but the same thing happens, it hangs on the gdm login
screen.  I also tried to recreate the configuration via the recovery
console and force generic settings, but that also didn't work.

There must be a way to force it to boot into failsafe mode without
having to boot through the recovery console.  I think I need to do some
more googling.

Charl