[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu on P4

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Wed Aug 11 22:08:00 BST 2010

I've been struggling for weeks with a 2.6GHz P4, trying to install
Ubuntu 10.04.  So far I have upgraded the RAM from 256MB to 512MB,
replaced the harddrive, used different SATA ports and tried to install
both Ubuntu and Xubuntu.  The symptoms are pretty much the same all the
time:

a. Only the Alternative (text-based) installers work well.   The
graphical installers slows down to a crawl or hangs after a while.

b. After a successful install the machine boots but just a few seconds
after showing the login in screen it hangs.  If you are quick you could
still log in and get to the desktop.  Although the keyboard and screen
stops working it still pops up with a selection when you press the power
button, giving me the idea that the system does not actually hang but
only the keyboard and mouse is affected.

c. I've also tried to get to virtual console.  Shortly after getting the
log on screen I switch to a virtual console using Ctrl-Alt-F2.  I can
barely type in the login name before the keyboard stops working.  So I'm
not getting anywhere here.

What I have concluded is that some service/process that loads shortly
after the login screen must be the cause.  It may also only affect the
keyboard and mouse.  However, I have used both PS/2 and USB keyboards
and mice with the same result.

I've also done a RAM test which confirmed that the RAM is working ok.

Strangely enough the machine was configured with dual boot to Win XP and
XP runs perfectly.

Any ideas in how to find the source of the problem is welcome.

Regards
Charl