[ubuntu-za] Acer vs HP boot time

Tim Johnson tim at pteq.net
Wed Aug 11 12:15:40 BST 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:54:44 +0200, Raoul Snyman
<raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:03:16 +0200, Charl Wentzel wrote:
>> Does this mean that the one vendor's hardware is better than the
>> other's?  Or could the Acer's boot time be improved?
>
> I honestly don't get this whole "faster boot times" thing. Why have boot
> times become more important than smooth operation? I'll take a machine
> that
> boots up in 5 minutes but is responsive once booted, over a machine that
> boots in 5 seconds and yet is as slow as a dog.
>
> Boot times really don't say much about how a machine and an operating
> system perform.

I agree Raoul.  I seldom watch my machines booting, I use those seconds to
sort out my desk, check paperwok etc or make coffee.  No matter how fast
or slow the boot time, it is dead computer time, best spent doing
non-computer stuff.
Once booted, however, I want stability, speed and reliability.