[ubuntu-za] Grub error after installing ubuntu on flashdrive

Josh Brodrick josholikestofly at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 19:25:08 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 7:39 PM, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal-pc.org> wrote:

> On 08/10/2010 12:00 PM, Josh Brodrick wrote:
>
> > However, when the computer boots, it does not give me any grub menu or
> > anything but simply boots straight into linpus....
>
> It looks like grub was never installed on the flash drive.  Now you have
> to insert the flash drive and boot from an Ubuntu Live CD, and repair
> and install grub to the flash drive.  If you can do it easily, you can
> remove your internal flash drive for this operation to keep from writing
> to the wrong drive.
>
>                        Lee

Thanks so much Lee, I got it all to work, this is what I did:

You are correct - I also dont think grub was ever installed to the flash
drive, but luckily I had only installed ubuntu to the flash drive today, so
I could do a fresh install withou loosing anything.

I formatted the flash drive. I then reinstalled ubuntu on the flash drive,
except at the last step of the installer (step 8 of 8 i think) I clicked
advanced... and set it to install grub onto the flash drive. (I think it had
previously defaulted to install grub onto the SSD drive and not the flash
drive)

Then after reboot I can now set BIOS to boot from flash drive and Ubuntu
boots perfectly.

I can also boot directly to linpus on SSD if I dont change BIOS boot order.

So basically everything is working perfectly just the way I want!

Thanks again for all your help!

Cheers,

Josh