[ubuntu-za] Some Basic Kubuntu Questions

Ian Whitfield whitfield at federalsaints.net
Thu Aug 5 13:49:43 BST 2010

  Hi All

Some basic questions from a (fairly) new user please..... (Kubuntu 10.04)

1) How do I make the equivalent of a "Bat File" to launch a 'script' to
start a program?

2) The above is to run Synergy but I find that my Linux Box changes it's
IP address from time-to-time. How can I stop this?

3) Often when I try to open a file I get a box asking me to select the
program to use to do this. Fine - but it only shows me Files to select
and not Programs. How do I select a specific program in this box?

4) When I first installed 8.04 last year my sound worked fine. When I
upgraded, (full re-install), to 8.10 I had no sound. I waited for 10.04
but still no sound. I have tried to fix this with no success and think I
will wait for 10.10 but any ideas on this?

5) I have two IDE drives in my box. 1st one for the OpSys and the 2nd is
'Home' Do I need to set-up a separate "Data' folder to hold my docs,
pics etc? I ask this because I'm not sure if a re-install of a new
version will completely overwrite the 'Home' folder. If so how do I do this?

6) I also have a 3rd SATA drive in my Box and when I upgraded from 9.10
to 10.04 I moved a lot of old stuff onto this drive. To "protect" it I
disconnected it while I installed 10.04. Now If I try to plug it in
again the system will not start! Any suggestions?

Last one -

7) I'm a KDE user and have been hearing good things about the new Mint
Linux KDE Version and would like to try it out on a spare machine I have
here. Does anyone have the ISO of this who could make me a DVD as my
bandwidth restrictions make it impossible for me to download!!? (I live
in Pretoria.)/

/Thanks a lot - I look forward to your replies.

Ian Whitfield./
/