[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu 10.04

Wesley Werner wesley.werner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 14:14:55 BST 2010


On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Bill Cairns <cairnsww at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> My question is - is it worth waiting for a month or two (or how long?)
> to get a more solid product, or should I submit to my baser instincts
> and do it as soon as possible because I want to play with the new
> Ubuntu? The answer really depends on the quantity of the downloads
> required - if the ISO image is going to be 700 megs and the bug
> corrections during the next however long are going to be 200 megs,
> then waiting would seem the best option. If only 20 megs, then let's
> do it now. (IOK  - I know nobody knows how long a piece of string is,
> but previous releases must have given us an idea).
>

I believe if your hardware works: graphics, sound, 3G devices, cameras,
scanners, printers etc, then go for it!

Waiting to get an updated ISO won't save you bandwidth, as you'll receive
those updates either way. If anything you might save bandwidth: if you
remove packages that you don't use, then those updates will be skipped.

When I have limited bandwidth, I begin downloading the ISO at the end of the
month, with the leftover cap, and continue next month.

Just backup everything if you can. If you have the space, you can tar your
entire OS partition <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=81311> into
one file.

Applications will need to be reinstalled unfortunately, as they are built
per release. You can save a list of what you have
installed<http://lifehacker.com/5146028/save-synaptic-markings-to-speed-up-ubuntu-reinstallation>and
easily reinstall those after. If you upgrade (vs fresh install) then
these packages will need to update either way, too.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-za/attachments/20100420/2b13c000/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the ubuntu-za mailing list