[ubuntu-za] Sa computer olympiad

ewaldhorn at gmail.com ewaldhorn at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 16:52:23 BST 2009

Yes yes yes, I didn't mean to knock Python, I just wanted to say that there is a need for more IT students and that it serves as a good gateway to more difficult languages. It is easier to code in and allows one to focus on logic and problem solving instead of the OOP concept first, like in Java. I don't see Linux kernel or iPhone development done in it, but it will certainly appeal to particular sectors and diversity in IT skills is lacking in general.

The most important thing is not WHICH language we use, but what skills we develop in the youth. We should encourage the use of the correct tool for the job and not try to fit each job to our tool of choice.

Regards
Ewald