[ubuntu-za] Sa computer olympiad

Jonathan Hitchcock jonathan.hitchcock at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 14:28:27 BST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Walter Leibbrandt
<walter+ubuntuza at translate.org.za> wrote:
> Python is certainly my favorite language for most uses, but it is a
> little... different. That makes it less ideal for teaching programming
> fundamentals. This can be discussed at length, so let me know if you
> would like me to ellaborate. :)

I really must beg to differ.

Python is, in my opinion, perfect for teaching, because of the way it
scales up through concepts.

It has a trivially low barrier-to-entry - the following program works fine:

print "hello world"

They put that in a file, and say "python <filename>" and it works!