[ubuntu-za] Sa computer olympiad

Walter Leibbrandt walter+ubuntuza at translate.org.za
Wed Sep 30 13:51:11 BST 2009

Op 30/09/2009 12:23, Hilton Theunissen het geskryf:
> So this story is really exciting.
>
>> http://www.it-online.co.za/content/view/1391339/142/
>
> Now the question is really, Is the results so overwhelming because they
> used Python instead of Delphi, VB, Java,etc?
>
> Then 2nd question is that Python is not taught or recognised a
> programming language by the National Department of Education. If it
> contributed to better learner software development skills, then why not?

IMHO *if* Python contributed to their performance (and that's a big
"if") it does not necessarily mean that Python would make a good
teaching language. Those students most likely had a very good
understanding of programming before learning and using Python.

Python is certainly my favorite language for most uses, but it is a
little... different. That makes it less ideal for teaching programming
fundamentals. This can be discussed at length, so let me know if you
would like me to ellaborate. :)

Very interesting, nonetheless.

--
Walter Leibbrandt                  Software Developer
Recent blogs: