[ubuntu-za] apt-cacher

David Rubin davidrub at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:56:34 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Stefan Lesicnik <stefan at lsd.co.za> wrote:

> > I got apt-cacher up and running on my laptop and changed the the
> > sources.list files on the new machines to refer to my laptop, e.g.
> >
> > "deb http://10.0.0.19:3142/za.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jaunty main
> > restricted"
> >
> > I also had to change the apt-cacher.conf file to state:
> > "offline_mode=1", to prevent it from trying to connect to the
> > "non-existing" internet connection when the client machine makes a
> > request.
> >
> > So no the client connects when I run "sudo aptitude update", but first
> > of all it seems to ignore all the files on my laptop repository:
> >
> > Ign http://10.0.0.19 juanty Release.gpg
> > Ign http://10.0.0.19 juanty Rranslation-en_ZA
> >
> > Then that is followed by errors:
> >
> > Err http://10.0.0.19 jaunty/main Packages
> >   403 Sorry, not allowed to fetch that type of file: Packages
> > Err http://10.0.0.19 jaunty/main Sources
> >   403 Sorry, not allowed to fetch thta type of file: Sources
>
> Heys,
>
> Im not exactly sure what you have got, but I have the following:
>
> Firstly, i would say use apt-cacher-ng (seems to be later and worked
> alot better for me)
>
> apt-cacher - Caching proxy for Debian package and source files
> apt-cacher-ng - Caching proxy for distribution of software packages
>
> Once it is setup, modify your sources to be something like
>
> deb http://aptcacher.lsd.co.za:3142/za.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> karmic universe
>
> where aptcacher.lsd.co.za is the apt-cacher server and 3142 is the default
> port
>
> Hope this helps somewhat

Hi

Like  Stefan suggested use apt-cacher-ng.

Also I would rather use a config setting to tell apt to use your caching
server instead of updating all your urls manually (If you are on a laptop
this can be a mission to disable/re-enable)

See [1] Client configuration.  into the file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01proxy

Acquire::http::Proxy "http://<IP address or hostname of the apt-cacher
server>:3142";

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Apt-Cacher-Server

David