[ubuntu-za] where is my gpg fingerprint?

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Thu Sep 24 17:44:40 BST 2009

Gavin wrote:
> 2009/9/24 David Robert Lewis <ethnopunk at telkomsa.net>:
>
>> I created another key using DSA for my user, I've tried importing it but
>> all I get is this:
>>
>> The key |0CDEE38BC3561EF8BD4682BE58403026387EE263| has already been
>> imported.
>>
>> Weird.
>>

> If your key is already in the gui app, you can also get the
> fingerprint from there.
>
> Right-click on your PGP key and choose properties, on the details page
> is the fingerprint as well.

Okay figured it out,

gpg --list-keys

then

gpg --send-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com <key>

The error message I got wasn't exactly helpful, it should have realised
I hadn't sent the key to the server, instead it assumed I already had
sent it and that I was trying to upload the key again. Somebody needs to
change the message!!!

Thanks for your help, Happy Hairy Cottage Day!

DRL