[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu Mobile

Gavin netmatters at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 15:17:39 BST 2009

2009/9/23 Quintin Beukes <quintin at last.za.net>:
> No.
>
> You don't get uC Ubuntu kernels. The most supported Linux on
> microdevices is uCLinux, and even it won't work. The phone's hardware
> is highly customized, and the O/S is configured for that model alone.
> You can't even install another symbian on that phone.
>
> Besides, Symbian is much smaller than the Linux kernel. You need about
> 2MB of flash memory at minimum to run a bare bone Linux, with no
> screen support. Only the binutils package, /bin/sh, serial IO and
> networking (not even route, just ifconfig). It's very empty. You might
> be able to store it on the external flash memory and use something
> like uBoot to boot a phone, but like I mentioned there is no Linux
> port for those processors. The ARM processor is a popular uC
> arc

I'm using a Samsung Omnia (ARM920T PXA312) and would LOVE to be able
to install any Linux on this device.

I'm currently re-flashing with all sorts of 'doze mobile 6.5 cooked
roms and the phone this has improved it's usability enormously.

However I would like to be able to use an openssh client, make use of
a python interpreter and so on but I have yet to find a working distro
that I would be confident of installing on my only working cellphone.

I did come across this project which looks kind of promising:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxomnia/

I'm tempted to give it a try, just not sure if my phone will still
work afterwards!

Has anyone else attempted this yet ??

Cheers,
Gavin