[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu on Ebox 3300/4300

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Wed Sep 23 13:41:24 BST 2009

Hi Guys

I've been struggling with my embedded PC supplier.  Their support is a
bit disappointing, the cost is high and their pre-installed Linux is
very limited.

I'm now looking at alternatives, including the Ebox 3300 (from CME).  It
has a MSTI PDX-600 -1GHz processor with 256MB RAM.  Since it supports
XP, it should be quite capable of running Ubuntu.

(At R1,300 a unit it would actually make great LTSP clients as well!)

There's also the bigger brother, the Ebox 4300 with a VIA Eden ULV
500MHz processor and 512 MB RAM @ R2,200)

Has anyone installed Ubuntu on one of these units?  I would love to know
if the performance is decent.

I have three applications:

1. LTSP client (boot/run over the network) - 3300 should be fine
2. Small LAMP server (Ubuntu server edition) - 3300 will probably work
3. Basic desktop (Ubuntu standard) - 4300 probably better

Comments?

Regards
Charl