[ubuntu-za] Encrypted Filesystem Question

Neil Robinson halfhaggis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:10:52 BST 2009

I really don't know how to help you, but you asked for any ideas, so:

Perhaps file and folder name encryption had something to do with UIDs that
they were originally encrypted with? Although I assume you need to be root
to encrypt the filesystem (I haven't tried it because I'm not as paranoid as
you ;-) ) so this guess of mine might be nonsense.

Good luck

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Quintin van Rooyen <
quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey List!
>
> Recently a laptop of mine borked and took my encrypted home directory with
> it. ( I forgot the passphrase :( )
> After googling and tooling around I found a way to recover the passphrase
> (so much for security) and managed to successfully mount the encrypted
> partition with ecryptfs-tools.
>
> After mounting it and entering it's passphrase lo and behold I got my files
> back!
>
> One snag though - all my file- and foldernames are still encrypted.
>
> I have mounted the drive with both "enable filename encryption) 'yes' and
> 'no' and same result.
>
> I can open files, view images etc, but what I am really after are my
> e-mails, and color me pink if I can figure out which one of
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.ialkajdslfkjawoeifaljbdva etc is my .evolution.
>
> Using Jaunty
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> --
> Quintin van Rooyen