[ubuntu-za] Web development

Johan Mynhardt johanmynhardt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 17:36:14 GMT 2009

2009/10/30 Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal-pc.org>:
> Charl Wentzel wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 10:53 +0200, David Rubin wrote:
>>> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Charl Wentzel
>>> This is the internet. I would highly suggest having a cron job that
>>> resets the data to factory settings every few hours. :)
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> That's an excellent idea, someone just deleted all the user rights.  So
>> after fixing it, I'll change the password.... and add a cron job.
>
> Too bad about that.  I never got to see it, but the front page loaded
> amazingly fast.  Something websites just don't do anymore!  Any chance
> of seeing your dev kit? :)
>
>                        Lee

Well, you can always use the tools Google use.

I have worked on a widget at the office and it was done using GWT.
What makes GWT (Google Web Toolkit) so great for me is that you can
develop your application in Java and then GWT compiles that code into
JavaScript. It features RCP and generates the appropriate AJAX for you
while you can use JSON or XML for data transmission.
When you are done your code is compiled into permutations which is
optimised for each browser. In the end this is the "write once run
anywhere" for the web. You only need to worry about your application
logic and design your interface like Java's Swing.

I know a lot of people in the South African ubuntu/linux community are
not fond of Java, but that's their loss :P

--

Johan Mynhardt - Free State Linux User Group

+2772 432 8108 |johanmynhardt[at]gmail.com
http://flug.org.za | http://nuvolari.co.za
irc.freenode.net (#ubuntu-za|#flug.org.za)