[ubuntu-za] Karma vs Windows 7 [sic]

Corrie Strydom corrie206 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 06:06:57 GMT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Jan Groenewald <jan at aims.ac.za> wrote:

> Hi Corrie
>
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 07:30:08AM +0200, Corrie Strydom wrote:
> >    I think its also more a case of safe-browsing, Linux users are more
> >    internet savvy than most, I take the "ladies" here at work, they want
> >    click and run each and every email attachment they get, or browse to
> >    verrry dubius sites.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> The statement makes a very dubious generalisation about gender, if not
> about linux security. Certainly user behaviour causes more problems
> than linux, kernel-related, or base system vulnerabilities.
>
> I wouldn't want lurkers to think the community condones
> this stance with regards to gender though. While the world, IT,
> and Linux is often male dominated, one cannot logically reduce
> this to a cause of insecurity.
>
> If any social analysis applies, gender diversity brings more
> safety as any diversity does to a complex system. Then again,
> women are better drivers -- ask the insurance companies. If one
> modelled and insured computer usage, one might even find similar
> trends.
>
> One male megalomaniac system administrator (apparantly quite common,
> called the 'god complex') does more damage to a network than
> many non-savvy users, whose actions would be isolated on a network
> with sound security policies.
>
> Perhaps this thread has run it's course and should either die
> or evolve into proper documentation on the wiki.
>
> Over 7 years of 100 desktops and 10 servers, all 5 incidents
> I experienced have been isolated and due to human error, not
> system vulnerabilities. Even though I don't work with Windows,
> some laptops pass through, and the 5 incidents *per year* have
> all required full re-installs of the base system. I believe
> that to be due to the better Linux design and modularity.
>
> regards,
> Jan

Sorry if people mistook my remark as gender based, thats really not the
point I was trying to make, i have the same problem with my dad as well.

But Jan, you are correct about the "god-complex" sysadmin, I've met a few,
and after lifting loads of restrictions, I've yet to see more (or less)
problems with new setups and policies.

Corrie