[ubuntu-za] Karma vs Windows 7

Gavin netmatters at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 20:08:05 GMT 2009

2009/10/26 Jonathan Hitchcock <jonathan.hitchcock at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Gavin <netmatters at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware
>>
>> Ignorance is bliss....
>>
>> http://www.milw0rm.com/platforms/linux
>
> To be fair, those are exploits in code, not viruses or worms.
> Everybody is well aware that all code potentially suffers from bugs
> and exploits.  The danger is when an exploit can be automated and used
> to rapidly deploy itself against more and more servers - that is when
> it becomes a virus or a worm.  It is very hard to do that to Linux,
> and the architecture and defaults on most distributions should keep
> most users safe without much worry.  Being comparatively safe and
> secure from worms, malware and spyware *is* a valid advantage of the
> system.

I know we're straying a little off-topic here so I will try to keep it short.

Yes those were a list of code exploits but this is exactly what most
viruses are based on, code to exploit a known vulnerability. ;)

Unlike Windows users, we most often get our system updates and patches
almost at around the same time that the vulnerability is publicly
disclosed.

I most definitely agree that there are almost/probably no known active
virus's targeting Linux systems today which is a very good thing, but
also take into consideration the popularity of the Windows OS and the
various reason's as to why it is constantly targeted and exploited,
let alone the fact that the monolithic company behind the development
of it is way more concerned about profits than it is about security
which is why their users 'HAVE TO' depend on 3rd party 'products'
(more $$$) just so that they can get a reasonable level of security.

The original point that I was trying to make was that we must not
portray that Ubuntu is an impenetrable OS because it is not, no
operating system is totally secure and non-susceptible to viruses, to
say that would be careless in the least.

Viruses have existed since the early days of the computer, on all
sorts of operating systems. They will continue to evolve, mutate and
mature as they have proven to do so very well, and as Linux becomes
more widely used and more popular, I can assure you that things may
not be as peachy as they are now.

That's not to mention the fast growing assortment of website based
security risks that lay dormant on pwned http servers just waiting for
their unsuspecting victims to arrive, some of your favourite sites may
even become hosts to some of these new forms of
malware/virus/exploits.

How many of you still allow unknown http servers to execute JavaScript
in your browser without your control ???

Let us not promote a false sense of security because many threats DO
exist out there and they always will, but rather lets inform and
educate on the reality of the situation.

Saying this I still think that it is ok to promote Ubuntu is a MUCH
more secure operating system that is MUCH less prone to
viruses/spyware/malware etc..

Cheers,
Gavin